P Visas are designated for athletes, entertainment groups or entertainers.? The P visas are categorized P-1, P-2, and P-3 regarding the purpose and nature of the visit.? To apply for the P visa, the applicant must get an advisory opinion from an appropriate labor organization and file the petition with USCIS.? The applicant may enter the U.S. if the USCIS approves the petition.


The P-1 visa is applicable to athletes who participate in a competition or performance at an internationally recognized level or to entertainers who are members of an internationally recognized entertainment group. The athletes may be qualified either individually or as part of a group, but the entertainers must be a member of an entertainment group. To prove the international recognition, the athletes must demonstrate a contract with an internationally recognized team or association, evidence that the athletes or team has participated in a high-level international competition, or evidence that the athletes or team has received a significant award. The P-1 visa entertainment group must be internationally recognized and at least 75 percent of the members must have been performing for at least a year. The P-1 visa may be issued for the period necessary to perform the competition or performance, but individual athletes may be admitted for up to 5 years, with one extension of up to 5 years allowed.


The P-2 visa is applicable to artists or entertainers, individually or as part of a group, who are entering the U.S. under a reciprocal exchange program. The applicant must submit a copy of reciprocal exchange agreement as a proving document as well as a statement from the sponsor explaining the details of the reciprocal exchange program. The P-2 visa is issued for the period of time necessary to complete the program, but cannot exceed one year.


The P-3 visa is applicable to artists or entertainers, individually or as part of a group, who are coming to the U.S. to be part of a culturally unique program.? For instance, if a Korean-American association invites a traditional Korean dance troupe from South Korea, each member of the troupe who participates in a performance may be granted the P-3 visa. The performance of the P-3 visa holders can have a commercial nature. The P-3 applicants, individually or as part of a group, must be recognized internationally as being culturally unique.


A P-4 visa may be applicable for the spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 years of the P-1, P-2, and P-3 visa holders. However, a P-4 visa holder is not permitted to be employed while staying in the U.S.