A fiance(e) of a U.S. citizen may enter the U.S. with a K-1 visa for a valid marriage with a petitioner. To apply for a K-1 visa, a U.S. citizen files the petition to invite his or her fiance(e) who is outside the U.S. There is no requirement for a formal ceremony including the exchange of gifts or an engagement ceremony, yet petitioners must show a genuine intention to get married in the near future. K-1 visa holders are allowed to enter the U.S. without long waiting periods to get married. However, a fiance(e) of a permanent resident is not eligible to get a K-1 visa. K-1 visa holders must get married to the petitioner within 90 days after entry.