A journalist visa may be given to a person working in media such as news, radio, and TV or a correspondent who resides in the U.S. Since a correspondent job requires a long term stay between one to three years, they enter the U.S. with I visas. However, it often happens that a journalist who temporarily visits the U.S. to cover a story enters with a visitor visa (B-2) instead of a journalist visa (I-1) and gets rejected from U.S. entry. Thus, a person who enters the U.S. with a journalism purpose is required to hold an I visa upon entry to the U.S. despite expecting a short term stay. Accompanying spouse and children under the age of 21 of a journalist visa holder may be granted derivative I visas. They may not work but may study in the U.S. without bearing a student visa. If accompanying spouse or children wish to stay in the U.S. after the completion of the journalist work, they must apply and change their visa status before the primary journalist visa holder leaves the U.S.