An Exchange Visitor Visa allows professors, scholars, teachers, students, interns, trainees, foreign doctors, summer students in work programs and so forth to enter the U.S to participate in an exchange program. To qualify for a J-1 visa, the prospective visitor must have a DS-2019 issued by a designated program sponsor. The program sponsors must be U.S. citizens, legal entities, or non-profit organizations that are able to issue DS-2019 as hosts of exchange visitor programs under the approval of the U.S. Information Agency. J-1 visa status is required to report to SEVIS, and accompanying spouses and children of an exchange visitor may qualify for J-2 visas if dependents submit the DS-2019. Each J-2 dependent must have his/her own Form DS-2019.